[Haskell-cafe] Re: EDSL for Makefile

steffen steffen.siering at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 6 18:38:19 EDT 2010

The Reader monad just establishes an environment, so you can use "ask"
to retrieve a value from the environment.
Let's say you have the following types representing you Make-
Environment:

    data MakeInfo = MakeInfo
        { target_  :: String
        , sources_ :: [String]
        }

then inside your Monad you can access MakeInfo using "ask". Because
you may want to have IO available, let's use the Monad Transformer
version of the Reader Monad, to define our MakeMonad:

    type MakeMonad = ReaderT MakeInfo IO

    runMake :: MakeMonad () -> MakeInfo -> IO ()
    runMake m makeInfo = runReaderT m makeInfo

and runMake will run it.

Then you can access source and target e.g. with Applicatives:

    test = do
        sources <- sources_ <$> ask
        target  <- target_ <$> ask
        system $ "gcc -o " ++ target ++ " " ++ (foldl (++) $ map ('
':) sources)

Since using "sources_ <$> ask" and such may still be annoying, this
gist[1] uses some (questionable) TypeClass-hackery and some extension
to overcome this "problem"...

Using this solution one can simply write:

    test = sh $ "gcc -o" & target & sources

which looks somewhat nicer. This example also defines runTest and a
test function (which calls the shell command "echo" to print some
lines) you can try in ghci by typing "runTest test"...

[1] http://gist.github.com/614246