[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tls, native TLS/SSL protocol implementation

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Fri Oct 8 11:56:48 EDT 2010

Quoth Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com>,
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>> I can see how this terminology makes sense, but it's the opposite of
>> the usage in Java (where "native" == "unmanaged code called via JNI").
>
> I guess it depends on the context. If the context is a C program then
> 'native' means the C code in the program and 'foreign' means other
> code like Haskell. If the context is a Haskell program then 'native'
> means the Haskell code and 'foreign' means other code like C.

wikipedia:  "Managed code is a differentiation coined by Microsoft to
    identify computer program code that requires and will only execute
    under the "management" of a Common Language Runtime virtual machine
    (resulting in Bytecode)."

In other words, a new way to say `interpreted', and `native' vs.
`interpreted' is a familiar distinction for more computing environments
than just Java.  But it isn't relevant here, right?  Since neither the
Haskell nor OpenSSL implementations are both compiled to CPU instructions.

	Donn Cave, donn at avvanta.com