[Haskell-cafe] Ordering vs. Order

Jeff Wheeler wheele11 at illinois.edu
Sat Oct 9 02:40:12 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Steve Schafer <steve at fenestra.com> wrote:

> I think the reason for this conceptual distinction can be traced to the
> derivation of "ordering" as the gerund form of the verb "order," in that
> it implies that an action has occurred (or is still occurring).

Reading the original message, this seems to be the misunderstanding.
The verb "order" can be interpreted as something like sorting (what we
mean in Haskell, can also be said to be "giving order" to the list) or
to command something, which is pretty much a completely different
meaning.

--
Jeff Wheeler

Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering