[Haskell-cafe] Make your Darcs repositories hashed?

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sat Oct 9 23:58:15 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 03:43:42PM -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> >
> > The Haskell.org server doesn't have to be upgraded. Maintainers can
> install
> > a newer darcs locally (cabal install darcs), do the upgrade locally and
> then
> > copy the repository back to the haskell.org server.
>
> Really?  But then the version of darcs on code.haskell.org wouldn't be
> able to read those repositories, which would cause darcs over ssh to
> fail -- wouldn't it?  Or am I missing something?

You'd be fine.  I tried to make this clear by saying:
Some things to keep in mind:
  * Darcs 2.4.4 is perfectly backwards compatible with older darcs and older
repos.

In particular, the manual[1] says:
The --upgrade option for darcs optimize performs an inplace upgrade of your
repository to the latest compatible format. Right now means that darcs 1
old-fashioned repositories will be upgraded to darcs-1 hashed repositories
(and notably, not to darcs 2 repositories as that would not be compatible;
see darcs convert).

Jason

[1] http://darcs.net/manual/node7.html#SECTION00784000000000000000