[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com recent changes (and I need some volunteers)

Vo Minh Thu noteed at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 07:09:00 EDT 2010

2010/10/11 Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info>:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:54:12 +0100, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 08:37, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Also, now 10 random profiles will be displayed on the homepage. Only
>>> "verified users" will be displayed here. I'm also considering adding a
>>> new status as well: real picture, so that only people with real images
>>> (not cartoons, not identicons) can show up on the homepage. I think
>>> this might give a more professional feel. Thoughts?
>>
>> I'd be weary of making that a requirement, there are good reasons for
>> not putting your picture on the web, just like there are good reasons
>> to not use your real name :-)
>
> ... just like there are good reasons not to publish yourself in a public
> catalogue (such as haskellers.com) at all.
>
> I have nothing against anonymity. I voted against requirement of real names
> on hackage.
>
> But in this particular case, the whole point to be in the listing is to
> present yourself. So I find the above proposal very reasonable.

Hi,

In the belgian law, an employer can (of course) request a faithful
resume, but cannot request the resume to contain a picture of you.
This is a clear example where you wish to advertise yourself, but not
necessarily with a picture. Anyway, I don't think it is difficult to
imagine situations where one doesn't wish to show a picture of his/her
face.

Cheers,
Thu