[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com recent changes (and I need some volunteers)

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 09:27:26 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
> wrote:

> >> I agree that it would be nice to use only real pictures, however I
> wouldn't
> >> want to leave out those who choose not to use any image at all.
> >> What about a site policy that user images must be real pictures (if they
> >> exist), and violations can be flagged/blocked?  Although, I don't know
> how
> >> this would interact with using OpenID, which appears to be most of the
> users
> >> currently displaying an identicon.
> >
> > I think it would be wrong to have haskellers.com impose restrictions
> > on what image I put on gravatar.  My image on gravatar pops up in
> > numerous other sites (I believe stackoverflow, ohloh, flickr, etc) and
> > I'm not necessarily happy with putting my photo everywhere, even
> > though I'd be fine with putting it on haskellers.com.
> >
> > So, instead I'd like to see the use of gravatar become optional.  Then
> > if haskellers.org could require a photo, and I could simply choose not
> > to get my cartoon image from gravatar.
> >
> > An obvious extension would be to allow me to get the image from other
> > sources in the future, maybe an option to grab a picture out of an
> > album on Facebook, or Flickr?
>
> So firstly, just to clarify, I was never recommending we make real
> photos a requirement to have an account on Haskellers. I was simply
> talking about the 10 random profiles that get shown on the homepage: I
> think it gives a more professional feel to the site if we see 10 "real
> people" and not Bart Simpson. That was my question.

I generally agree on this point, however having a profile on the homepage
(even if it is randomly selected) provides a great deal of publicity and
legitimacy to that profile (as much as haskellers.com can provide!).  I
think this should be equally available to users who for whatever reason do
not wish to share a photo image.

> Now, the idea of using something besides gravatar is a fair point. I
> know personally I *like* it when sites use gravatar, as it's one less
> site I have to upload my image to. Otherwise, I need to search around
> for my preferred profile image, crop it to whatever that site wants,
> hope they'll scale it nicely, etc. From the site maintainer
> standpoint, gravatar also means there's less moving parts on
> Haskellers, and it decreases our bandwidth significantly, which is
> definitely something to consider.
>
> I'll definitely put some thought into providing an alternative to
> gravatar. In the meanwhile, an option you have is to add a second
> gravatar email address. This works especially well with Gmail
> accounts, where you can just use a + sign (eg,
> michael+haskellers at snoyman.com <michael%2Bhaskellers at snoyman.com>). I'm
> not saying this is ideal, but if
> you want to have your real photo up, it will work today.

That seems to be reasonable.  Although this is only an issue if there's some
sort of real-image restriction to the functionality of haskellers.com.  I
don't think the implementation should be difficult once the policy is
decided.

John