[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com recent changes (and I need some volunteers)

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Oct 14 05:25:45 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Henning Thielemann
<schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> Michael Snoyman schrieb:
>
>> As a side point, I'm wondering how I should let everyone know about
>> the new features on the site. Emailing the cafe each time would be
>> stupid (and spam); posting to my twitter or my blog won't hit the
>> whole audience.
>
> Regarding the news comments by Disqus on haskellers.com: Why do they
> require JavaScript?

That's the way Disqus rolls ;). If I'm not mistaken, I think they have
the ability to post comments on their site without Javascript, but I
could be mistaken.

Adding a custom Haskellers comment system is a possibility. Here are
my thoughts:

Pros
* Can have more graceful degradation.
* Use your Haskellers account for posting comments (big plus here).
* Comments would probably load faster.

Cons
* Takes more time.
* Will never have all the features that Disqus has (Reddit reactions,
for instance).
* Might make it more difficult for people without Haskellers accounts
to comment (I don't think I care about this).

Michael