[Haskell-cafe] Re: MonadCatchIO, finally and the error monad

Paolo Losi paolo.losi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 08:14:50 EDT 2010

Thanks for you reply, Michael.
See inline ...

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Michael Snoyman

> > As an haskell newbie, I've got some questions on this matter.
> >
> > Is it using ErrorT instead of extensible exeptions really necessary?
> > I've read your comment stating that we cannot pass function arguments
> > to Exceptions because of the Show class constraint.
> > But is that really limiting? Wouldn't your use case (e.g.
> > HTTP redirection in Yesod) be implementable with extensible exceptions?
> >
> > I would guess that the rule of thumb would be not to mix
> > extensible exception and ErrorT whenever it is possibile.
> >
> > I've quickly read your post on inverting transformer stacks
> > and, from my newbie point of view, I feel that the extra complexity
> > isn't worth the gain.
>
> I'm not sure why you think inverting the ErrorT monad is more
> complicated than MonadCatchIO: they're both doing basically the same
> thing. The difference is that MonadInvertIO does this generically for
> a whole class of functions, and therefore does it right.

I could have written MonadCatchIO, I could not have written InvertIO :-)

> Anyway, it *is* theoretically possible to use extensible exceptions
> anywhere you would use ErrorT, but there's always a runtime hit in
> using runtime exceptions. Also, it's a difference in philosophy:
> coming from a language like Python or Ruby, it may feel natural to use
> exceptions for these kinds of cases. In Haskell, we try to make
> exceptions respect their name, and only use them in exceptional
> circumstances.

Is the performance penalty of using runtime exception so high?
I would sacrifice some bits of performance for a more consistent
error reporting / flow control.
For the argument that Exceptions are for exceptional cases
I'm totally with David MacIver [1].
I perfectly see the point of using ErrorT, but not when you need to
handle runtime exceptions as well.
As an haskell newbie I think that _THIS_, error handling strategies,
is the single most troublesome point where some consistency
(at least as a best practice) is really needed.
I had hopes that extensible execptions could clarify the issue raised
by [2] at least in "new" code...

Thank again

Paolo

[1] http://www.drmaciver.com/2009/03/exceptions-for-control-flow-considered-perfectly-acceptable-thanks-very-much/