[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com skills list moderation?

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Oct 18 16:34:56 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Might it be worthwhile to take the elected "superusers" on haskellers.com
> and let them police the skills list? It's become rather messy, with overly
> broad terms like "Mathematics" in it, as well as overly specific ones like
> "Other languages I know: C# .NET, XSLT, Microsoft SQL Server, XML, SQL, CSS,
> C, C++, Java, HTML, Visual Basic Script, Pascal, Rexx, Basic and assembler".

I concur that we need to switch the skills list to moderated. My plan
is to lock out the ability to add skills by non-admins, then do a
manual cleanup myself. After that, if you want a skill added to the
list, you'll need to ask an admin to do it (there will be an automated
request form, just like with verified user status).

Just so everyone knows what it means to be an "admin": admin powers
are very limited, it's basically a glorified moderator. That means
that admins don't have the power to change your profile or anything
like that. Except for me, what with having database write permissions,
but that's kind of unavoidable ;).

So in general, I think I'm going to have to take out all of those
overly-general and overly-specific ones, and clarify some of the
others. Such as explaining what tool building is (thanks, Chris!).

Michael

PS: I can't believe no one added a "Write a monad tutorial" skill.