[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com skills list moderation?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Oct 20 13:09:17 EDT 2010

On 10/20/10 9:12 AM, Anthony Cowley wrote:
> We don't want people
> outside of an area of interest governing name choices that lessen the
> value of the tags.

To be honest, when the thread first came up, I was afraid NLP (or AG)
would end up on the cutting block because of that...

> As a strawman for people to beat up on, what if each tag linked to a
> wiki description? Such a description could include a couple sentences
> of exposition, and perhaps links to relevant resources.

+1.

As an additional strawman, perhaps the "I can use X (package, program,
markup language,...)" stuff should be broken out separately from the
"skills", just like package authorship is. There seems to be a tension
here between resume-esque listing of every competence with some
acronym-of-the-day, vs listing larger areas of overall knowledge (NLP,
R&A, mathematics,...)

> Another alternate is that if a tag becomes *too* popular (i.e. more
> than x% of haskellers check it off), then perhaps there should be a
> poll to have it removed and its spirit embedded in the general site
> text. Tags like "Algorithmic Problem Solving" might fall into this
> category.

+1.

Another option which may be interesting to pursue is to make the skills
list hierarchical, so that when "Algorithmic Problem Solving" gets
broken up into Foo, Bar, and Zot, we get the new skills listed as
checkable subskills of uncheckable "Algorithmic Problem Solving".
...Though that might just be delaying the garbage collection until later
(witness Data.*).

--
Live well,
~wren