[Haskell-cafe] Is it possible to "easily" connect Haskell to JavaScript/JavaFX in the browser and use a browser as a Windows GUI? :)

Atze Dijkstra atze at cs.uu.nl
Thu Oct 21 03:04:11 EDT 2010

On  20 Oct, 2010, at 22:30 , Stephen Sinclair wrote:

> P.s., it would be wrong not to also mention the latest development in
> UHC, which might exactly let you write the JavaScript part of the app
> in Haskell:
>
> http://utrechthaskellcompiler.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/haskell-to-javascript-backend/
>
> I haven't tried it, so can't comment on the readiness of this interpreter..

The intention is to have the next release of UHC include a first working version of the Javascript backend. I am currently busy with providing FFI based interfacing to Javascript and a set of basic libraries for this. When released I expect it to be sufficient for initial experiments and simple programs, but to provide a proper interface to XML/HTML DOM (see http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_in_web_browser), or a GUI abstraction around it (perhaps a subset of wxHaskell?) will take more work & time. I hope this can be done as part of a studentproject, or maybe picked up during a Hackathon.

cheers,

                - Atze -

Atze Dijkstra, Department of Information and Computing Sciences. /|\
Utrecht University, PO Box 80089, 3508 TB Utrecht, Netherlands. / | \
Tel.: +31-30-2534118/1454 | WWW  : http://www.cs.uu.nl/~atze . /--|  \
Fax : +31-30-2513971 .... | Email: atze at cs.uu.nl ............ /   |___\