[Haskell-cafe] Haddock: patch to generate single-index page in addition to perl-letter indexes indices.

Ryan Newton newton at mit.edu
Sun Oct 24 10:31:45 EDT 2010

(Btw, I blame gmail for the mangled title ;-) -- it's been doing some weird
stuff recently on Safari for me; but only in the subject line.  I think
there were backspace characters in an edit that weren't applied.)

The permuted indices are interesting.  It means really committing to the
style/naming conventions, doesn't it?  In common lisp, hyphen separated
names and I guess camel-case for Haskell.  Though you could split on
underscores *or* camel case...

I think multiple ways of indexing the data never hurts (except by confusing
the user a bit).  On that common lisp page I especially like how they've
indented the words.  Frankly I'd like a search box in any interface that
displays more than two thingamajigs.  That should be a UI commandment.

I was expecting the objection of wasted server bandwidth for very large
indices.  I wasn't so worried about the client (even mobile) case.  People
can always press escape if a load takes too long.  And it only happens if
they manually drill down into "All".  Perhaps a good idea would be to follow
the convention used elsewhere <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/> and have a link
with a size warning -- "All Entries (1.6 MB HTML)."  That should keep people
from clicking on it with their smartphone :-).  I can tweak it again to do
that if people like.

Cheers,
  -Ryan