[Haskell-cafe] cross-platform compile

Ari Rahikkala ari.rahikkala at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 07:53:13 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Hong Yang <hyangfji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious if Haskell can or will generate cross-platform executable code,
> e.g., generate code for Linux from a Windows machine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hong

I don't know about other compilers, but at least GHC is not quite
there yet: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2010-June/018893.html

In my experience, compiling for Windows on Linux, setting up the
Windows release GHC itself for running on Wine is easy enough.
Libraries can be a lot more fiddly - for instance my rather
avant-garde msys-on-wine setup didn't play well with the configure
script in the network package so I had to install it on
msys-on-Windows. Be ready to set up your PATH yourself, fiddle with
linker flags, and remember that the gcc version that comes with the
current GHC Windows release is still 3.4.5.