[Haskell-cafe] who's in charge?

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Wed Oct 27 10:46:29 EDT 2010

> there still isn't even a mail client library, I wonder whom to
> escalate this to, and who is going to do something about it?

So, if it is libraries you care about, then it is pretty-much a free-
for-all open source world.  People implement libraries that matter to
themselves, scratching a itch, and if we are lucky, they release them
to the world at large.  There is no steer or guidance from any
leader.  We are all volunteers here.  Indeed, I don't think any one
"leader" could possibly anticipate everyone's library needs and
magically arrange for someone to finish the work two weeks before you
even ask for the library.

Of course, posting a request for some specific library on a mailing
list might just prompt someone who shares the same itch as you to go
away and implement it.  Or you might find collaborators who are
willing to help you to design and implement it.  That counts as
escalation, and getting the job done, even if you would prefer just to
grab something off the shelf for free.

Regards,
     Malcolm