[Haskell-cafe] On being called a troll

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 21:09:51 EDT 2010

2010/10/27 Günther Schmidt <gue.schmidt at web.de>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> this post is to argue my own case.
>
> Today I have made the most upsetting experience of being called a troll,
> twice.
>
> I have posted to this list for over 3 years now and until lately it was an
> enlightening experience. The responses to my questions have usually been
> helpful and friendly.
>
> But for some time now, I have noticed that the tone on this list has
> changed. It seems to have become ok to respond quite brutally and without
> regard for the other persons feelings. It also seems to have become ok to
> chime in. For some reason it has become acceptable to politicalize a subject
> at the earliest convenience and take the gloves off.

I'm in favor of keeping personal accusations off of this list. Calling
someone a troll on a public list isn't really helpful to the
conversation.

In extreme cases, I think some folks have the ability to moderate the
list - so it isn't like we need to resort to public personal attacks
to keep the discussion productive.