[Haskell-cafe] Edit Hackage

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Thu Oct 28 16:55:12 EDT 2010

stephen.tetley:
> On 28 October 2010 20:59, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> >
> > "Status of Infrastructure" questions like this are best asked on the
> > Haskell Reddit.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > P.S. I encourage people to use the online forums: Haskell Reddit and Stack
> > Overflow, as a lot of the question-answering activity has shifted there
> > now, away from -cafe@
>
> Err, Why?

The online services provide searchable content, tagging, and the ability
to rate, edit and refer to previous content.  E.g.

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/haskell?sort=hot&pagesize=15

> Having to track three places for information rather than one doesn't
> seem like a good swap to me...

It's too late.

The number of subscribers to the Haskell Reddit, for example, is double
the -cafe@, and there are comparable numbers of questions being asked on
the Stack Overflow [haskell] tag, as here -- so anyone who only reads
-cafe@ is already missing a lot of stuff.

A lot of the community has already voted on the efficacy of mailing
lists for large communities, by moving their discussion elsewhere.

-- Don