[Haskell-cafe] Re: Current thinking on CompositionAsDot issue in haskell prime?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Thu Oct 28 22:20:30 EDT 2010

On 10/28/10 10:42 AM, Ben Millwood wrote:
> Here's the wiki page:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/CompositionAsDot
>
> Personally I think function composition is what Haskell is all about
> and it is absolutely essential that the syntax for it be lightweight.
> If we think using . as qualification as well as composition is
> confusing, I'm much more inclined to say using it as qualification was
> a mistake.
>
> The comment on the wiki page about $ being more common in reality is
> not even close to true for my own code, and I don't think I'm unusual
> in that regard.

Agreed on both counts. Personally, I'd much rather have name
qualification and record selection use a different character than to
remove (.) as composition. And replacing (.) with some abomination like
`o` is unthinkable.

As for the selector character, I'm partial to # but that would clash
with MagicHash.

--
Live well,
~wren