[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com idea: strike forces

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Oct 29 05:19:57 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 October 2010 19:06, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
>> [..]
>
> I _really_ like this idea.  With this nebulous proposal of yours, is
> there any way of maybe integrating the various services already hosted
> at haskell.org and its sub-domains (mailing lists, tracs, etc.) or are
> you looking at "re-inventing the wheel"?
>
> Rather than just "strike-forces", this could become more Haskell
> Special Interest Groups; that way, if someone wants help with a
> particular area of Haskell (web development, graph theory, etc.) they
> can contact that SIG rather than -cafe in general.

Mental note: must remember to use word "nebulous" more often, I like it.

Anyway, integration with existing services would be very good, but I
doubt it will be possible. I don't think there's a way to
automatically create a mailing list, trac project, and so on and so
forth, and I'm not certain it would make sense to make such a feature
possible. I suppose something like this would be a possible goal to
look towards if we ever start working more seriously on single-signon
and the like, but for now, I think we're stuck reinventing the wheel.

Your SIG idea sounds possible, let's play it out. I'll go with web
development, since I'm personally involved there. I suppose the idea
would be I could create such an interest group, and hopefully
developers on other frameworks (Happstack and Snap for instance) could
join the team. Users may come and start requesting features, and
everyone interested in solving the problem could participate in the
discussion. Seems like it would fit right in with the strike force
proposal, just under a different name. I have no objection to trying
to name this something more generic such as SIG.

Michael