[Haskell-cafe] Red links in the new haskell theme

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sat Oct 30 08:49:01 EDT 2010

On Saturday 30 October 2010 14:15:58, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Daniel Fischer wrote:
> > I do, top right, next to Index. In seamonkey, though, it's sometimes
> > half hidden and displayed below the Source resp hackageDB links.
> >
> >> Does it require JavaScript?
> >
> > It seems so. If I disallow scripts for haskell.org, I don't see it
> > either.
>
> If I enable JavaScript in Konqueror, I still see no style menu.

In the Extras menu or in the global settings menu?
If I disable JavaScript in the global settings in Konqueror, the Style menu
is gone and no futzing with HTML settings in the Extras menu will change
that, while if JavaScript is enabled globally, I can turn it on/off per
site and the Style menu will appear/disappear according to the setting
(requires a reload, though).
I don't particularly like Konqueror's configuring behaviour, it's not easy
to understand.

> However I would like to get it without JavaScript. It can certainly be
> achieved using a cookie.
>
> I never understood why Cascading Style Sheets were used to configure the
> appearance of a website from the server side. To me it would make more
> sense if users could configure the colors of links in their browsers,
> like they configure fonts and font sizes.
>
> >> I find it still strange, that the unusal style is the default.
> >
> > Most people who responded when opinions were collected about the new
> > theme preferred that.
>
> Possibly when seeing, how it looks like, people change their mind. :-)

Possible. But I don't understand how people can get so worked up on such
things so much¹. Both look fine to me.

[¹] Website design in general. Things look mostly so-so, until a
professional designer comes in. Then, with a very few exceptions, things
become horrible [that's not particular to _web_ design, it applies to all
designers (post Wilhelm Wagenfeld)].