[Haskell-cafe] How can we make Haskell-Cafe scale? (was: Re: Edit Hackage)

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 31 18:40:50 EDT 2010

On 31 October 2010 04:08, Sterling Clover <gershomb at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can we make Haskell-Cafe scale?
> There's been some grumbling about users migrating from -cafe to Reddit and Stack Overflow in particular. First, as Don has pointed out, the fact is that people are moving away, and that's just the trend.

I really don't think the amount of Haskell discussion is so large on
Haskell-Cafe. I've seen maybe 5 new threads started all day. If
complaints of being swamped by messages is the cause, then it seems
people tend not to know how to ignore a thread with their client. For
me, today has been like a ghost town in Haskell-Cafe, but I set
threads I don't want to read to ignore. Regardless, I do think SO,
Reddit, Planet Haskell, Meetup, HaskellWiki, hpaste, Github,
Haskellers, the IRC, etc etc etc. serve their specific purpose well,
and using them is good. But the Haskell community really is not that
big that we need to further partition it and spread it thin. How many
different channels can people be bothered to monitor?

On 31 October 2010 22:43, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> As for the large number of posts: as far as I'm aware most email
> clients allow you to say "mark all messages in this thread as read"
> under some guise or another so you don't have to actually read each
> email just to stop your client telling you that you have new mail.

GMail, for example, has the "mute" feature, to stop emails being shown
in the inbox for a given "conversation" (thread).