[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: text 0.8.0.0, fast Unicode text support

Tako Schotanus tako at codejive.org
Wed Sep 1 02:13:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 07:14, John Millikin <jmillikin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Don't forget, you can always improve the text library yourself. I love to
> receive
> > patches, requests for improvement, and bug reports.
>
> Are there any areas in particular you'd like help with, for either
> library? I'm happy to assist any effort which will help reduce use of
> String.

As a Haskell noob I'm curious about this statement, is there something
intrinsically wrong with String?
Or is it more a performance/resource problem when dealing with large amounts
of text for example?
(Like having to use StringBuilder in Java if you want to avoid the penalty
of repeated String allocations when simply concatenating for example)

Cheers,
 -Tako