[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: text 0.8.0.0, fast Unicode text support

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 02:27:18 EDT 2010

2010/9/1 Tako Schotanus <tako at codejive.org>:
> As a Haskell noob I'm curious about this statement, is there something
> intrinsically wrong with String?

String is just a linked list of Char which are unicode code points;
which is probably not the optimal way to store text.
For intensive use of text it takes too much memory, and/or it's not
fast enough.

Sometimes I'd love if I could program using String and the compiler
would automatically convert that to Text, or Bytestrings, but of
course it's wishful thinking.

David.