[Haskell-cafe] Re: Projects that could use student contributions?

George Giorgidze giorgidze at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 04:55:55 EDT 2010

Brent Yorgey <byorgey <at> seas.upenn.edu> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> This fall I'll be teaching a half-credit introduction to Haskell to
> some undergrads.  As a final project I am thinking of giving them the
> option of (instead of developing some program/project of their own)
> contributing to an existing open-source Haskell project.  Of course,
> this requires the existence of projects they could contribute to.  I'm
> sure they exist, but need your help to figure out what they are.  So,
> do you maintain, or know of, any projects with the following
> characteristics?
>
>   * might conceivably be interesting to undergraduate CS majors
>
>   * simple enough that someone could make some non-trivial
>     contributions in the space of 3 or 4 weeks
>
>   * could use some help!
>
> This is a little non-traditional, so we'll see how it goes!
>
> -Brent

Hi Brent,

The following projects might be of interest:

HCodecs
 * Hackage Package:  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/HCodecs
 * Git repository: http://github.com/giorgidze/HCodecs
 * Possible tasks: Add more codecs and/or improve the performance of existing codecs
 * Student will learn/use: Monadic parser combinators, parsing of binary data, how to test Haskell code
using QuickCheck and HPC

YampaSynth
 * Hackage Package : http://hackage.haskell.org/package/YampaSynth
 * Git Repository: http://github.com/giorgidze/YampaSynth
 * Possible tasks: Add new audio filters and generators, use in other reactive applications, improve
performance
 * Student will learn/use: Programming with arrows, Functional Reactiver Programming (FRP) in Yampa,
audio synthesis

Cheers, George