[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: text 0.8.0.0, fast Unicode text support

Tako Schotanus tako at codejive.org
Wed Sep 1 05:06:04 EDT 2010

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the pointer, although I was aware of the thread and had followed
it quite closely, it was quite interesting.
But it never explained if and why String should be avoided, all I read is
"test and decide depending on the circumstances", which in itself is good
advise, but I'd like to have an idea of the reasons so I can form in idea
before actually having to code any benchmarks :)

Knowing that String literally is a linked list of Char makes it a lot
clearer. I figured that maybe Haskell could be using some more efficient
mechanism for Strings internally, only treating it outwardly as a [Char].
But I guess that in a lot of circumstances where you're just working with
small pieces of text in non-performance critical code it's perfectly okay to
use String.

Cheers,
-Tako