[Haskell-cafe] On to applicative

michael rice nowgate at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 10:45:17 EDT 2010

Sorry, my last message got garbled. Hope this is better.

Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative> let f = \x -> x:[]
Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative> :t f
f :: a -> [a]
Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative> let g = \x -> Just x
Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative> :t g
g :: a -> Maybe a

=====

Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative> let z = \x -> x+1
Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative> :t z
z :: Integer -> Integer

Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative.Data.Char> let y = \x -> ord x
Prelude Control.Monad Control.Monad.Instances Control.Applicative Data.Char> :t y
y :: Char -> Int

Can you think of a situation for

 \x -> f x
or
 \x y z -> x + ord y - head z

that would require x (y z) to have their type(s) declared (ala Pascal), or is it always
inferred by what appears to the right of "->"?

I guess what I'm asking is can an anonymous function be given a type signature?

Michael