[Haskell-cafe] Missing documentation in Haskell Platform on Windows

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 3 12:57:39 EDT 2010

Don Stewart wrote:
> andrewcoppin:
>
>> Almost every release of GHC that I can remember has had the links for
>> the "mtl" package broken. (The Control.Monad.XXX modules are mostly from
>> mtl. But, for example, Control.Monad.Fix is from base. I bet you'll find
>> it works just fine.)
>>

> Well spotted, Andrew!
>
> The way to get things like this fixed is to report a bug to the relevant
> project.

M'kay. And for this, that would be...?

> Click on the 'bug report' button:
>
>     http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/

Ah, right. There's a HP-specific tracker. I guess now I just have to go
register my details with yet *another* tracker and then I can report it.
(Right after I finish checking that nobody has already reported it for
me...)

> You installed the Haskell Platform on Windows, so please mention this in
> the bug ticket. The problem will likely be in the Windows installer
> script, and what docs were bundled with that specific installer.
>
> Be as detailed in the report as you can, to make sure we can reproduce
> what trouble you have.

The information above probably says it all, so that shouldn't be hard.

> In the meantime, you can always read the 'mtl' documentation on its
> package page:
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/package/mtl

Well, yeah, there is that. It's just annoying to click on certain links
and find it's dead, even if there is a workaround. (Assuming you have
Internet access, which you occasionally don't...)