[Haskell-cafe] Graphics.Drawing

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:14:02 EDT 2010

On 6 September 2010 10:09, han <e at xtendo.org> wrote:
> I think there should be Graphics.Drawing (along with Graphics.Rendering) and
> many graphics packages should go into it.

Why?

> So
> * Graphics.Rendering will contain more technical and rendering-engine-level
> packages (OpenGL, GD, ...)
> * while Graphics.Drawing will be for higher-level and user-friendlier
> drawing tools. (gloss, graphics-drawingcombinators, hieroglyph, Chart, ...)
> Currently most graphics packages are thrown into Graphics.Rendering or even
> Graphics. I think we all agree that having a standalone package right under
> Graphics is undesirable.

Why is it undesirable?  Henning Thielmann's gnuplot package for
example uses Graphics.Gnuplot.*.  Whilst we could make that
Graphics.Plotting.Gnuplot.*, the module names are getting a little
unwieldy then.

> There needs to be at least one subcategory. (which
> is why I also think Win32 and X11 should be moved from Graphics to
> Graphics.UI.)
> What do you think?

I fail to see a reason for this (well, I can see why it might be
desirable from an hierarchical point of view, but not how it will help
from a usage point of view since we don't really look for packages
based upon the module hierarchy but rather on package name,
descriptions and categories on Hackage).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com