[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Form a haskell.org committee

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Sep 6 00:34:23 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:

> Dear Haskellers,
>
> In recent years, haskell.org has started to receive assets, e.g. money
> from Google Summer Of Code, donations for Hackathons, and a Sparc
> machine for use in GHC development. We have also started spending this
> money: on the community server, on a server to take over hosting
> haskell.org itself, and on the haskell.org domain name. There is also
> interest in running fundraising drives for specific things such as
> Hackathon sponsorship and hosting fees.
>
> However, it is not currently clear who is responsible for determining
> what the haskell.org money should be spent on, or what are and are not
> acceptable uses of the domain name and hardware.

The darcs project uses the Software Freedom Conservancy as a sort of
legal entity to hold on to funds and also to help in case anyone takes
legal action against darcs or darcs needs to take legal action.

You might consider joining the SFC as "haskell.org".  I don't know
enough about the SFC or haskell.org to know if it would be beneficial,
so I'm just sort of throwing it out there as something to investigate.
 You might talk to Eric Kow if you're interested.  I believe he
coordinated the process.

http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/

Jason