[Haskell-cafe] Restricted type classes

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 07:51:06 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM, David Menendez <dave at zednenem.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM, David Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
> wrote:

> >> What's the argument for Pointed? Are there many types which are
> >> instances of Pointed but not Applicative? Are there many algorithms
> >> which require Pointed but not Applicative?
> >
> > Having Pointed is categorically the right thing to do, which is why I
> argue
> > for its inclusion.
>
> Why is it categorically the right thing to do?

Because it's the proper abstraction underlying Applicative and Monad, as far
as I understand category theory.

> When Conor McBride was promoting the use of Applicative (then called
> Idiom), he provided several instances and algorithms showing that it
> was a useful generalization of Monad, and it still took several years
> and a few papers[1] before Applicative found its way into the standard
> library.
>
> In other words, we didn't add Applicative and then discover
> Traversable later. Traversable was a big part of the argument for why
> Applicative is useful.

I take this in favor of my point.  Applicative wasn't considered useful, so
it wasn't included.  Then Conor McBride shows that it is useful, but at that
point it was too late and now we're stuck with pure, return, ap, liftA2,
liftM2, etc.

 [1] Idioms: applicative programming with effects
>  <http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~ctm/Idiom.pdf>
>
> > Also, I think it would be prudent to avoid a situation
> > with the possibility of turning into a rehash of the
> > Functor/Applicative/Monad mess.
>
> Granted, but let's not rush blindly in the opposite direction.

> > Are there any good reasons for not including it?  Just because we don't
> have
> > a use now doesn't mean it might not be useful in the future.
>
> This is an argument for putting every member of the container API into
> its own independent class. Why make things more complicated for little
> or no benefit?

Not every member, but I would argue that type classes for containers should
be much more fine-grained than anything I have seen proposed so far.  I'm
thinking of the collections provided by the .Net framework, i.e. a base
ICollection interface, then IEnumerable, IList, and ISet on top of them.  If
an algorithm needs a list interface (integer-indexed, etc.), it can specify
IList in the context, whereas if it only needs e.g. to check the length, or
that a container is non-null, it can just specify ICollection and work with
more data structures.

I would be in favor of breaking it down further, and then the ListClass,
SetClass, etc. would likely be classes with no methods, just a particular
combination of superclasses.  Edison is a good model too, although again I
would go further.

One category of containers that is currently impossible to express (with
container-classes or Edison) is non-null data, e.g. SafeList.  Adding
support for these would be nice, and it would be easier with finer-grained
dependencies.  As an example, a List interface could work for both regular
lists and SafeList's, but only if it didn't require Monoid (or similar) as a
superclass constraint.  That's hard to do with the current structure, but if
you're just combining several type classes it's easy.

At a minimum, I think that having extra classes for the specifics of e.g.
Map or Queue interfaces is required for maximum utility.

John