[Haskell-cafe] Graphics.Drawing

han e at xtendo.org
Mon Sep 6 07:57:53 EDT 2010

Before we proceed, let's make some points clear.

For example, OpenGL is currently imported via "Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL".
With the reasoning that "Graphics.SomeModule" (instead of
"Graphics.Drawing.SomeModule") has no problem ("since we don't really look
for packages based upon the module hierarchy but rather on package name,
descriptions and categories on Hackage"), one might say that
"Graphics.OpenGL" is okay too.

Even just "OpenGL" would be fine as well with the same reasoning. We all
know that "OpenGL" definitely means the graphics rendering library, and
nobody is likely to use such a module name for something else. So let's
rename it from "Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL" to "OpenGL". Why use unwieldy
"Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL" where we can just, "import OpenGL"?

So the question is: Do you agree that "Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL" actually
should have been "Graphics.OpenGL" (or just OpenGL) for wieldiness? If you
don't, what is your reason? I would like to know.