[Haskell-cafe] Re: Paralelism and Distribution in Haskell

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Mon Sep 6 18:37:35 EDT 2010

Don Stewart <dons <at> galois.com> writes:

> Note that DPH is a programming model, but the implementation currently
> targets shared memory multicores (and to some extent GPUs), not
> distributed systems.

Yes. I understand that's only part of what the original poster wanted,
but I'd sure want to use ghc-generated code on a (non-distributed) GPU.

I keep telling students and colleagues that functional/declarative code
"automatically" parallelizes, with basically "no extra effort"
from the programmer (because it's all in the compiler) - but I would
feel better with some real code and benchmarks to back that up.

GPU computing via ghc  could be a huge marketing opportunity  -
if it works, it should be all over the front page of haskell.org?

J.W.