[Haskell-cafe] Re: Paralelism and Distribution in Haskell

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Sep 6 18:40:02 EDT 2010

waldmann:
> Don Stewart <dons <at> galois.com> writes:
>
> > Note that DPH is a programming model, but the implementation currently
> > targets shared memory multicores (and to some extent GPUs), not
> > distributed systems.
>
> Yes. I understand that's only part of what the original poster wanted,
> but I'd sure want to use ghc-generated code on a (non-distributed) GPU.
>
> I keep telling students and colleagues that functional/declarative code
> "automatically" parallelizes, with basically "no extra effort"
> from the programmer (because it's all in the compiler) - but I would
> feel better with some real code and benchmarks to back that up.

Well, that's not really a good thing to say. Some subsets of Haskell
automatically parallelize (like the array combinator libraries), others
require simple annotations (like parallel strategies). Others are more
explicit, like concurrent collections. There are many programming
models, with varying degrees of power/usability.

-- Don