[Haskell-cafe] overloaded list literals?

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Sep 6 18:58:28 EDT 2010

Am Montag, den 06.09.2010, 19:38 +0400 schrieb Bulat Ziganshin:
> btw, i also had proposal to automatically convert typeclasses used in
> type declarations into constraints, so that:
>
> putStr :: StringLike -> IO ()
>
> treated as
>
> putStr :: StringLike s => s -> IO ()

This blurs the distinction between classes and types, which are two
fundamentally different concepts in Haskell. In addition, it works only
for special cases. I would like the language to be simple. Alas, more
and more sugar is added to Haskell, which makes it unnecessarily
complicated.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang