[Haskell-cafe] Pointed (was: Re: Restricted type classes)

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Sep 7 13:11:44 EDT 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, at 5:23 AM, wren ng thornton wrote:

> In particular, one of the primary complaints against the Monad class
> is precisely the fact that it *fails* to mention the Functor class
> as a (transitive) dependency. Why should we believe that making unit
> independent from fmap will fare any better?

A noteworthy difference is that fmap can be defined in terms of return
and >>= but not in terms of point. IMHO, this is a good reason why
fmap should be defined for every Monad and may be missing for some
Pointed.

Sebastian

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)