[Haskell-cafe] installing GHC/Haskell Platform in Linux without root permission

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Thu Sep 9 15:00:26 EDT 2010

On Thursday 09 September 2010 20:23:13, Ali Razavi wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't have ghc installed. Can I install it without root
> priv?

That ought to work. I just unpacked and installed ghc-6.8.3-i386-unknown-
linux.tar.bz2 in a subdir of $HOME without root privileges.
(I would've tried a newer release, but I had the 6.8.3 vanilla binary just
happening to lie around.)
So in principle it works, if it doesn't work with a later vanilla linux
binary, that would be a surprise (and a bug), but then you could use an
older one to build from source (that works, promised, I have done that a
lot).