[Haskell-cafe] benchmarking c/c++ and haskell

David Terei dave.terei at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:50:15 EDT 2010

On 13 September 2010 20:41, Vo Minh Thu <noteed at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... the post is from 2008. No LLVM goodness. So I thought GHC 6.12.1
> (not the latest and greatest HEAD) would be enough.

I compiled the two programs myself out of curiosity and got the following times.

Linux, 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10:

1e8
clang: 0.180s
gcc: 0.179s
ghc 6.12.1 (viac): 0.187s
ghc 6.12.1 (fasm): 0.218s
ghc HEAD (viac): 0.186s
ghc HEAD (fasm): 0.179s
ghc HEAD (llvm): 0.174s

1e9
clang: 1.657s
gcc: 1.647s
ghc 6.12.1 (viac): 1.653s
ghc 6.12.1 (fasm): 1.975s
ghc HEAD (viac): 1.648s
ghc HEAD (fasm): 1.658s
ghc HEAD (llvm): 1.646s

So basically all have the same time except ghc 6.12.1 where fasm is a
little slow.

On windows xp 32bit I get quite different results which I trust less
as the times are jumping around much more then they were on linux:

1e8
gcc: 0.365s
ghc 6.12.1 (viac): 5.287s
ghc 6.12.1 (fasm): 1.332s
ghc HEAD (viac): 5.292s
ghc HEAD (fasm): 0.875s
ghc HEAD (llvm): 0.359s

Not sure why the results on windows are so different. If anyone else
wants to run the two programs on Windows and check that would be
great.

Cheers,
David