[Haskell-cafe] Web development work

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 16 04:26:36 EDT 2010

  On 16/09/2010 08:52 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Often times when trying to pitch Haskell to potential clients the
> concern is the lack of qualified developers willing to take on
> projects. As I'm sure many of you are familiar with, clients prefer
> not to be locked in to a single programmer: an errant bus can
> significantly reduce the value of their investment.
>
> So I'd like to get an idea of how many people out there would be
> interested in Haskell web development work. For the moment I'm just
> interested in doing this informally via email, though perhaps in the
> future it would be beneficial to the community to have this
> information centralized on a website. I think it would be useful to
> have some basic skills and experience information, including system
> administration abilities.

You'd be surprised at the frequency with which emails almost exactly
like this one pop up. Everybody thinks that since Haskell is such an
obscure and unheard of language, it will be impossible to recruit
programmers. Usually at this point Don or Duncan or somebody pops up and
points out that as soon as they send an email to Haskell-cafe about a
potential job opening, they get utterly swamped with enquiries.

I don't know about web development specifically, but there are *plenty*
of Haskell programmers out here, and it's not difficult to contact them
either. Finding the "good" onces might be somewhat harder, but there are
plenty of people to chose from.

(And yes, given the frequency with which this gets asked, we should
probably write this info down somewhere!)