[Haskell-cafe] Ultra-newbie Question

Christopher Tauss ctauss1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 03:51:33 EDT 2010

Hello Haskell Community -

I am a professional programmer with 11 years experience, yet I just do not
seem to be able to get the hang of even simple things in Haskell.  I am
trying to write a function that takes a list and returns the last n
elements.

There may be a function which I can just call that does that, but I am
trying to roll my own just to understand the concept.

Let's call the function n_lastn and, given a list  [1,2,3,4,5], I would like

n_lastn 3 = [3,4,5]

Seems like it would be something like:

n_lastn:: [a]->Int->[a]
n_lastn 1 (xs) = last(xs)
n_lastn n (x:xs) = ????

The issue is I do not see how you can store the last elements of the list.

Thanks in advance.

ctauss