[Haskell-cafe] Uniting graphics libraries

Tillmann Vogt Tillmann.Vogt at rwth-aachen.de
Sat Sep 18 08:44:24 EDT 2010

  Hi,

I have nearly finished writing a Collada-output library to make 3d
animation files. Before doing this I have looked at two libraries on
hackage that parse Collada to display it. For my library I have copied
the types from gpipe-collada and extended them. Now I am thinking that
it would be nice if all 3d libraries would use the same data type.
Currently gpipe-collada, graphics-formats-collada, obj, ... parse
3d-formats. FieldTrip, lambdacube-engine, ... (to mention examples) can
generate and/or display 3d-objects. But they all cannot be combined
without tedious type conversions. The obvious argument is that every
application has its own needs. This is of course true but I think that
the Collada format shows how to deal with this (you can do quite a lot
with profile_common). I would be willing to write patches for some
libraries and make a discussable 3d-types library based on Collada.

Hope you agree,
Tillmann