[Haskell-cafe] Hackage hierarchical module naming conventions

Jan Snajder jan.snajder at fer.hr
Sun Sep 19 10:46:08 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I'm almost ready to upload my first-ever package to Hackage, but there's
one thing that's bothering me for quite some time now: Are there any
hierarchical module naming conventions in Hackage?!

Well, I've came across this:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hierarchical_module_names

This is nice, but obviously (intentionally?) underspecified, and
consequently the structure we have now doesn't really seem all that
consistent. For example, consider these three packages (just an example,
no offense intended):

Data.KMeans
Data.Datamining.Clustering.Gsom
Data.Clustering.Hierarchical

(I actually prefer Data.Clustering.*)

It seems like anyone is building his or her own taxonomies of modules,
and we end up with a lot of space in between.

Has this issue been brought up before? Are there any additional
guidelines?

Best,
Jan