[Haskell-cafe] example in "All about Monads"

James Andrew Cook mokus at deepbondi.net
Mon Sep 20 08:47:40 EDT 2010

Also keep in mind that "Maybe" is a sort of a toy example of the concept being developed.  It is indeed useful as a monad in its own right, but certainly not a case where the "comb" function is absolutely essential, as wren demonstrated.  There are stronger motivations for using the 'comb' approach in cases where the type in place of 'Maybe' is more complex, or even completely abstract so you can't match against its constructors directly.

-- James