[Haskell-cafe] problems using macports?

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 01:41:14 EDT 2010

Hi!

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM, S. Doaitse Swierstra
<doaitse at swierstra.net> wrote:
> I am in my yearly fightto get a working combination of operating system (Snow Leopard), compiler version (6.12) , wxWidgets and wxHaskell on my Mac .

I had same problem just know and it seems to be (as described also
elsewhere) that Haskell Platform GHC is linked against system's iconv
and by using (or having) MacPorts or Fink with their own version you
have a conflict.

One solution is to get MacPorts a new version of GHC so there will be
no need for Haskell Platform GHC installation if you want to use
MacPorts:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/25558

(Or you could just change PATH so that it uses MacPorts version.)

The other way is that you (for session in which you compile) hide
MacPorts or Fink installation. I had this problem with Fink and I
fixed this simply by undeclaring environment variables:

export -n LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export -n LIBRARY_PATH

Of course then you cannot use Haskell libraries which require
additional libraries not installed on the system (and this is why you
install them with MacPorts or Fink).

So one way would be to have Haskell Platform versions which link
against MacPorts and Fink iconv (or their library paths in general).
The other would be probably to implement/document configuration
(extra-lib-dir?) that Cabal (or GHC in general) first searches
system's library path (those against which GHC was compiled in Haskell
Platform) and if lib is not there goes for MacPorts or Fink's library
paths?

Mitar