[Haskell-cafe] Inverse of HaskellDB

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Sep 29 06:21:42 EDT 2010

I think this approach is not possible without involving some fairly
ugly unsafeInterleaveIO/unsafePerformIO calls. A simple example using
a common web programming example: support I have a multi-user blog
site, where each user can have multiple entries. I would model this
using standard Haskell datatypes as:

data Entry = Entry { title :: String, content :: String }
data Blogger = Blogger { name :: String, entries :: [Entry] }

Obviously we'll need some kind of blogger loading function:

getBloggerByName :: String -> IO Blogger

Either this will load up all entries (a potentially incredibly costly
operation) or use unsafe IO down the road. Especially when using
database connections, this can be incredibly bad: the connection could
be closed, the SQL statement could be reused by another request, etc.

My persistent library follows a similar approach to what Chris
describes, though with a very different syntax. You can see a very
similar example on the documentation site[1].

Michael

[1] http://docs.yesodweb.com/book/persistent/#relations