[Haskell-cafe] Re: Monad instance for partially applied type constructor?

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 17:41:42 EDT 2010

It's hard.  Here's a simple example:

type Foo f = f Int

class C (f :: (* -> *) -> *) where
   thingy :: f [] -> f IO

-- Should this ever typecheck?  I would say no; there's no way to
unify f [] with [Int].
callThingy :: [Int] -> IO Int
callThingy = thingy

-- but what if you say this?
instance C Foo where
     -- thingy :: Foo [] -> Foo IO
     -- therefore,
     -- thingy :: [Int] -> IO Int
     thingy (x:_) = return x

Basically, allowing instances for type functions requires you to
*un-apply* any type functions to attempt to do instance selection.

  -- ryan