[Haskell-cafe] EDSL for Makefile

Neil Brown nccb2 at kent.ac.uk
Thu Sep 30 06:02:39 EDT 2010

On 30/09/10 09:41, C K Kashyap wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was thinking about doing an EDSL for Makefile (as an exercise)
> I put down my line of thought here -
> http://hpaste.org/40233/haskell_makefile_edsl
>
> I'd appreciate some feedback on the approach. Also, I wanted some idea
> on how(in the current approach) I could make the target name and the
> dependency available to the action writer - as shown below.
>
> r1 = Rule {
> 	target = "file1",
> 	dependsOn = ["file2"],
> 	action = do
> 			execute ("gcc -c " ++ dependencyList ++ " -o " ++ target)
> }

Neil Mitchell gave a talk at AngloHaskell 2009 on doing a better make in
Haskell.  I've found the abstract on the wiki:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/AngloHaskell/2009 but, alas, no
slides to be found.  My memory was that he had implemented the system
successfully for internal use at a company and it had worked out quite
well.  Perhaps you can contact him about the slides.

Thanks,

Neil.