[Haskell-cafe] Re: Distribution needs

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 09:28:58 EDT 2010

On 30 September 2010 23:06, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 30.09.2010, 11:15 +0200 schrieb Heinrich Apfelmus:
> > Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > > on planet.debian.org, there is some ill-tempered discussion about the
> > > seemingly bad relationship between the Ruby community and Debian
> > > maintainers. The following blog post summarizes the issues quite well
> > > and calmly:
> > > http://gwolf.org/blog/ruby-dissonance-debian-again
> >
> > (The link doesn't seem to work, only  http://gwolf.org/blog  is available.)
>
> I’m attaching the entry as it was produced by feed2imap.

I did have a read through all that and have discussed it with a ruby
developer I know.  My understanding is that the biggest difference
here between the Ruby and Haskell developer communities is that they
try to push through the whole "release early and release often" mantra
to the extreme, whereas we typically try to support as many versions
as possible.  Furthermore, we _try_ (and keep discussing how to
improve testing and detection for this) to specify API breakage via
version numbers, etc. and to keep such breakage to a minimum.

For another set of distro maintainer woes regarding Ruby, have a read
through Diego Elio “Flameeyes” Pettenò's (a Gentoo developer) blog
entries: http://blog.flameeyes.eu/tag/ruby

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com