[Haskell-cafe] Encoding of Haskell source files

Colin Adams colinpauladams at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 4 16:52:10 CEST 2011

2011/4/4 Brandon Moore <brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com>

> The rest of the standard already just talks about sequences of unicode
> characters, so I don't see much to be gained by prohibiting other
> encodings.
>
> In particular, I have read that systems set up for east asian scripts
> often use UTF-16 as a default encoding.

Presumably because this will use less disk space on average.

I too don't see any reason to forbid other Unicode encodings. Perhaps
mandate support for UTF-8, and allow others with a pragma. But unless
someone adds support to a Haskell compiler for such a pragma, it will be
fairly pointless putting this in the standard.

--
Colin Adams
Preston, Lancashire, ENGLAND