[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Google Summer of Code student application period opens today

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:33:03 CEST 2011

Hi Marco

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva
<marcot at marcot.eti.br> wrote:
> I've writed a draft of the proposal at
> http://www2.dcc.ufmg.br/laboratorios/llp/wiki/doku.php?id=marco_soc2011 .  If
> you have any comments, I'll be glad to receive them.

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a well-written
proposals. I have two comments at this point:

    "If not all of the dependencies were build yet, the dependencies
are included in the queue, and also the package or module, after
them."

Minor nit: note that several packages can share a dependency so
naively adding a dependency to the queue could cause unnecessary
rebuilds.

    "I'll work on a released version of GHC, to avoid having to
rebuild it whenever the git is updated, and to avoid handling with
changed on the git tree during my development."

I would strongly recommend against this as you might end up with an
impossible merge towards the end of the project, putting the whole
project in jeopardy. I'd suggest getting patches in early and
frequently. By submitting patches (at least for review) early and
often you'll benefit from feedback and buy-in from the maintainer(s)
and make it easier for him/her/they to merge your work.

Johan