[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: DocTest-0.2.0

Simon Hengel simon.hengel at wiktory.org
Wed Apr 6 22:53:05 CEST 2011

Hello Michael,

> I would like to integrate DocTest into my normal test suite procedures. Do you
> have a recommended approach for this? I think I have projects using all of
> test-framework[1], HTF[2] and hspect[3], so I'm not picky here.

Currently you are pretty much on your own here.  A shell script that
runs both, doctest and unit test, is what I currently use.

In principle it should be possible to provide an API function that maps
a list of flags and source files to tests, like:

    getDocTests :: [Flag] -> [FilePath] -> IO [Test]

But with this you still have to figure out the flags and source files.

A different approach would be to provide Cabal with a `doctest' target
(similar to the `haddock' target), that runs the DocTests.  Cabal
already knows the necessary information to do so.

Sadly, I have no time to work on any of these for at least a month.
Nevertheless, I'd be interested what you think about it.

Cheers,
Simon