[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

Maciej Marcin Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 01:32:04 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 16:16 -0700, John Meacham wrote:
> Um, the patch theory is what makes darcs "just work". There is no need
> to understand it any more than you have to know VLSI design to
> understand how your computer works. The end result is that darcs
> repositories don't get corrupted and the order you integrate patches
> doesn't affect things meaning cherrypicking is painless.

While I appriciate the patch theory I don't think darcs fits the
workflow of at least some people

Assume following changes
1. Feature X - file x.hs
2. Feature Y - file y.hs and x.hs
3. Feature Z - file z.hs and x.hs
4. Fix to feature Y (changes x.hs)
5. Fix to feature X (changes x.hs)

Now before pushing I would like to have 3 nice commits. In git I can
rewrite history by single command:

# git rebase -i origin/master

and edit the file to look like

pick 1
fixup 5
pick 2
fixup 4
pick 3

Manually/automatically check everything is ok.

Regards